An arrangement of the room, it is worth paying special attention to lighting. The fact is that a well-chosen arrangement of lighting devices can transform a living room or an office beyond recognition. With the help of lamps, zoning of a large space is possible, and in small areas – visual expansion. The article presents the most successful examples and typical schemes for the placement of spotlight spotlights on a stretch ceiling, as well as presents unusual design solutions for rooms of various types. Considerable attention in the design of the interior is also given to the spot spotlight (spot) that is relevant recently.
The calculation of the required number of spotlights and the rules of their location
When planning the right lighting in the room, it is necessary to determine the number of light bulbs on the stretch ceiling. Knowing the exact size of the room and the power of the light bulbs, you can independently calculate the number of spots you need for lighting. For example, for lighting a 2-square-meter area, one light source with a power of 35 watts will be required.
Once you decide on the total number of light bulbs, you can easily determine their correct location. The length of the room (or zone) must be divided by twice the number of light bulbs in a row. The data obtained will correspond to the distance from the wall to the first or last spotlight. And in order to determine the distance between the lamps, you should multiply this distance by 2.
Approximate layout with calculations shown in the photo.
Variants of placement of spotlights in the room
The main advantage of using indoor spots is even, soft and diffused lighting. In addition, with the help of special switches, they help to save energy consumption. In the right combination with suspended ceilings, such lamps are able to create a unique interior, give it a special atmosphere and a new architectural solution.
Depending on the area of the room and its shape, it is possible to emphasize or change the interior:
- For narrow and long (elongated) rooms, the ideal solution would be a parallel arrangement of spotlights in two rows or more.
- A small living room, which requires a central light source, can be visually expanded if the spotlights are arranged rectangularly, leaving a chandelier in the center.
- In order to emphasize the transition between the levels of the stretch ceiling or select individual zones, you can use an arcuate arrangement.
- For a small room that does not require a chandelier or an additional pendant lamp, you can use a cruciform pattern (an ideal solution for hallways and large balconies).
- For large kitchens and dining rooms, the best solution would be to arrange spotlights in a staggered manner, which will illuminate both the center of the room and the corners.
- For a bathroom and a small hallway, the use of light bulbs located on the ceiling in the shape of a square is perhaps considered the most practical and convenient option.
The photo below shows schematically the options for placing bulbs on a stretch ceiling, which can serve as a basis for planning the lighting in your room.
Rules and important nuances
Everybody is free to choose the location of the light sources independently, but it will not be superfluous to take into account technical nuances and marking rules:
- Bulbs should create the necessary level of illumination of the room or its zone. For example, in the working area, the lighting should be brighter than in a place intended for recreation. If there is insufficient lighting, you can always install additional lighting devices that will also have a decorative character (floor lamp, table lamp, sconce).
- The basic rules for placement of ceiling lamps state that the distance from the wall to the extreme light bulbs should be at least 20 centimeters, which will avoid overheating the wall, changing the color of wallpaper or paint material, as well as worsening the dispersion of the light flux. The distance between adjacent bulbs should be at least 30 centimeters.
- When choosing lamps should take into account the quality of the stretch ceiling and the power of light bulbs. For example, for suspended ceilings made of PVC films, the use of halogen bulbs with a power not exceeding 20 watts is recommended. For satin-leaf ceilings, light bulbs up to 35 watts are permissible.
- With a symmetrical arrangement of lamps should take into account the need to install them at the same distance from each other and relative to the wall.
- As for the location of the light bulbs relative to the window opening, there are no hard requirements. The main condition is considered a sufficient level of illumination of the room.
Knowing and considering all the recommendations, it is possible to correctly place the light sources on any ceiling.
Features of lighting different rooms
Each individual placement of spotlights is interesting in its own way, however, it is not universal and cannot be applied to any room. That is why in the future we offer to familiarize with the peculiarities of the location of light bulbs in different rooms – kitchen, bedroom, nursery, etc.
- For a hall (living room) the choice of the location of light sources depends only on your imagination. The presence of a chandelier is not considered mandatory if the spots are placed in a circle – this will make soft, muffled lighting. If you plan to install the chandelier, then it should provide a separate switch.
- The placement of lamps in a circle or in the shape of an oval is recommended in the bedroom. In this room, there is no need for bright lighting, so it is quite possible to do without a central chandelier. For lovers of reading in bed as an additional source of light, you can suggest the use of sconces, wall or desk lamps on the bedside table.
- In the children’s room, which is usually divided into 3 zones (for recreation, games, and activities), zone lighting is recommended. Above the writing desk, it is worthwhile to arrange brighter lighting, and above the bed, you can get by with muffled diffused light.
- When placing lamps in the kitchen and in the dining room should concentrate the flow of light over the dining table, and spot the spotlights set over the work surface.
- In the corridors of the spot should be placed around the perimeter of the ceiling. If the room is too dark, then you can additionally install sconces.
- In the bathroom or in the combined bathroom to install lamps should be only with moisture-resistant characteristics. You can arrange them both in a checkerboard pattern and along the perimeter of the ceiling. Particular attention should be paid to the lighting of the wall mirror and dressing table area.
Absolutely every room can be accentuated by highlighting. In the hall, the living room is best to combine a chandelier and spotlights, and in the bedroom, it is quite possible to do only spotlights and wall lamps. For the children’s room, a good solution would be a combination of chandeliers, spotlights and wall lamps. Thus, any room can be decorated in an original way, so that it is as cozy and comfortable as possible.