At first, we should know how long does it take for paint to dry. It is written on the paint bucket details. It doesn’t matter if we dedicate ourselves to decoration, painting or DIY. Drying paints can be a problem. Sometimes it considerably slows the painting processes. And others, if we do not prevent ourselves correctly, cause strokes. Stains, sprays, cracks … So, next, we will talk about how to make paint dry fast.
Before distinguishing between some products or others, it compensates to make some preliminary clarifications. If you are willing to do so, place what you are going to paint in a space as ventilated as possible. And especially if it is something of great dimensions, like a wall … Preferably do it in summer!
How to make paint dry fast?
Always try to use quick-drying paints. They do not have the same qualities as the originals, but sometimes they are really useful.
Turn on a dehumidifier in the room you are painting, several hours before you start painting. Put the dehumidifier in the centre of the room. Now, close the room from the rest of the house if possible. This is especially important if the area has high humidity.
Adjust the room temperature through the heating or air conditioning system between 65 and 75 degrees Fahrenheit. This scale of values provides the best conditions for drying the paint.
Place box around the low implantation room after having painted the walls. Constant airflow helps dry the paint faster. Open windows if the room has windows. Make sure that when you open the windows, you are not leaving in excess moisture, temperature or high or low residues that may get stuck in the paint.
Accelerate the drying of your oil paintings
Slowness is one of the technical complications of this pictorial modality. (Well, that and how to remove the smell of paint that permeates everything.) To accelerate the drying of paintings like this, opt for the following methods:
- Reduce the amount of oil, adding, for example, turpentine essence. Do not complicate. You can do it directly on the palette.
- Pour the paint onto cardboard. With this simple trick, the cardboard will absorb too much oil. But be careful not to crack!
- An oil painting, as you know, consists of different layers. The first can be given with another type of paint and the second, with oil. The result will not be so bulky, but it will take less time to paint.
Drying acrylic paint
The best thing about acrylic is its universality. It is valid as furniture paint, wall paint, paint to use … And precisely because of that, we must know how to accelerate or decelerate drying to adapt to its multiple uses.
Usually, it has these two tricks:
- Place a lamp in the vicinity of the painted area. But again you must be careful that the paint does not dry out.
- Plug in a dryer and, at a safe distance, apply the blast of air over the painted area. Faster impossible.
The delicate case of watercolour
Drying paints is always a problem with watercolour, the watery variety par excellence. Be careful not to deform the result in any way. To do this, first, get decent support.
In the market, you can see the variety of watercolour papers from which you can choose. If you want a quick-drying, make them as rough and absorbent as possible.
Otherwise, use the dryer again. This time put it in the lowest power and remember to hit the blade on both sides.