Colors for the bathroom: how to choose the right color
The colors of the walls in the bathroom are among the things we think about the least in the renovation phase. We are looking for a thousand creative solutions for the living room and bedroom. When we have to paint the bathroom, however, we focus on the usual white and the usual tiles. A real shame, since we are talking about one of the most important rooms in the house.
The combination of the colors of the bathroom walls, the chosen furniture, and the bathroom fixtures can transform the usual room into a small wellness center. It is enough to know how to choose the best shades based on the size of the room and the style we want to give it. Let’s find out below how to make a correct and careful choice:
Colored or white bathroom?
The idea of the colored bathroom still struggles a bit to establish itself, a little out of habit and a little due to objective difficulties. The most common sanitary ware is white; many pieces of furniture are white, black, dove gray. In addition, white is good for small and large, long and short bathrooms. On the other hand, the white wall is less personal and little in line with the more whimsical personalities.
In this paragraph, we see which colors to use in two typical situations: the small bathroom and the modern bathroom. In both cases, white is certainly the simplest solution, but also the least original.
Bathroom color: what colors to use for a small bathroom
When a room is small or has a low ceiling, the golden rule is always the same: dose dark colors well. Matching colorful walls and heavy line furniture, for example, close the room and makes it stuffy. Conversely, light colors add brightness to the environment and make it appear larger.
In the case of bathroom wall colors, you can orient yourself on these choices.
- Pastel green or blue, classic colors for a small bathroom: they are relaxing and liven up the environment.
- Powder pink, ideal if you love shabby chic. However, avoid tones that are too heavy, excessive for such a bathroom.
- Beige and sand, popular in the Nordic style. They are the best choice for those who don’t want white walls, but still want to play it safe.
- Glossy enamels for the ceiling, white or pastel color. They reflect light and make the room seem larger.
- Horizontal lines are a little darker than the background, to “stretch” the walls. Among the different choices for the colors of the small bathroom, it is certainly the most laborious.
Bathroom color: what colors to use for a modern bathroom
The colors for the walls of the modern bathroom subvert part of the above: rich and dark colors abound, embellished with textures of various types. So if you have a medium-large bathroom and are looking for an original design, you can indulge yourself in these ways.
- Black and gold, the colors of luxury and elegance. You can make a black wall with gold touches or a black band topped with a gold band. We advise against using black to paint the walls, though: if one day you change your mind, they would be difficult to cover. Instead, use it for tiles and cladding.
- Green, especially Greenery. It is a deep green with yellow notes, which recalls the color of the leaflets in spring. For a more ethnic or industrial touch, use bottle green instead.
- Red, sparingly: in the long run, it tires the look. Use it to paint a wall or for shower tiles, combining it with white and beige. This way you get a colorful but not rowdy bathroom.
- Rainbow, another bold color combination for bathroom walls. Use tiles of many different colors in specific areas of the room, such as in the shower or sink area.
The best bathroom coverings
The choice of colors for the bathroom walls also includes the coverings. As mentioned above, very dark paints are difficult to cover. Repainting an entire black or navy blue wall takes a lot of coats of paint, a lot of time, and a lot of effort. Much better to use special bathroom coatings, which add color and are more versatile.
Compared to paints, coatings have the advantage of adding texture to the walls. Depending on the material, the final color and the way the light is reflected also change. In theory, this allows you to use a single color in two or three different materials. Which ones, to be more precise?
- Wood, strange as it may seem. The wooden bathroom panels are treated with waterproofing paints and require annual maintenance.
- Ceramics, a world of its own. In fact, ceramic tiles can be smooth, rough, fabric effect, stone effect …
- Resin, the bathroom coverings to be renewed at a low price. With resin you can cover old tiles without having to remove them, changing the face of the bathroom (almost) without effort.
- Stone, ideal if you want to get a rustic or zen effect. For a spa effect, combine stone coverings with indoor plants and scented candles.
- Marble, luxurious and elegant. Each panel is different from the other, thanks to the veins that cross them in a unique way.
How to match colors in the bathroom
So far we have only considered walls and coatings. It remains to be analyzed how to manage the combination of colors of the bathroom walls and all the other elements inside it. If you want to achieve a harmonious effect, the walls must in fact be combined with floors, bathroom fixtures, and furniture. The black and white bathrooms are also very popular, two contrasting colors that create very fashionable effects with a strong visual impact.
First of all, you need to decide what your starting point is. Do you want a colorful bathroom at all costs? Do you have a specific style in mind, such as shabby or ethnic? Do you already own the furniture and need to choose colors and upholstery? You can use any of these three approaches, as long as you stay consistent. Once this is done, be careful of these things.
The style of the bathroom should be in line with the overall style of the house. An African ethnic bathroom could be out of tune in a Zen home.
Avoid excessive uniformity. If your walls, floors, and furniture are the same color, make sure they have different textures. In this way, the whole acquires movement and avoids tiring the gaze.
The taps For a neat final effect, choose taps that match the color of the walls and furniture.
Towels or colored furniture? If you love colorful bathroom linens, choose neutral-colored furniture and walls.
The plants are better in the outdoors. If you love plants and flowers in the bathroom, use light and neutral colors: they will bring out your fragments of nature.
The choice of furniture and colors of the walls of the bathroom is more important – and difficult – than we tend to think. The bathroom is the place where you prepare for the coming day and where you wash away the tiredness of the last day: it deserves attention!