Today it is impossible to imagine a modern apartment or a cozy house without household appliances. A washing machine has long been no longer a luxury item, but an essential thing. For many years she has been helping the housewives cope with a large amount of dirty laundry without much difficulty. But after several years of active exploitation, the “faithful assistant” may demand to help her. It so happens that only washed clothes instead of fresh aroma produce a very unpleasant smell. Yes, and from the machine, itself “smells” of mold, dampness, and sewage. This cannot but upset the zealous hostesses, so our material in which we will tell you how to quickly get rid of the smell in the washing machine, as well as about how and how to prevent its occurrence will come in handy.
The reasons for the appearance of an unpleasant smell are many, but the main ones are:
- Fungus / mold;
- Blockage in the drain hose;
- Poor quality water;
- Substandard household appliances.
Why smell in the washing machine occurs: common causes
If you notice that after washing, the laundry has an unpleasant smell and also smells disgustingly from the machine, besides the rubber of the hatch is blackened or stained, it means that a mold or fungus appeared in the machine.
The main causes of mold:
- Lack of preventive measures (timely cleaning of the automatic machine, replacement of worn out spare parts, ventilation of the drum);
- Washing things with organic garbage that gradually accumulates in the typewriter (hair or pet hair, powder particles, rinse residue);
- Blockage in the drain pipe/drain hose.
We must not forget that a washing machine is an ideal place for the appearance of fungus and mold. Humidity and heat contribute to the emergence and multiplication of bacteria. Harmful microorganisms get into a favorable environment and multiply in the tank, on the elastic bands, in the ten, in the drain hose, on the seals.
If you store dirty laundry in the drum of the machine, often use the “quick wash” mode at low temperatures, low-quality powders and rinses, wash the fleecy things without protective bags and do not carry out preventive measures, the appearance of mold, and with it an unpleasant smell, it is expected and naturally.
How to eliminate the unpleasant smell in the washing machine?
If you carefully look at the washing machine, from which comes a strong unpleasant smell, you will notice black spots on the rubber hatch and cuffs. It may seem that replacing the rubber and seals will solve the problem. But it is not. An unpleasant smell emanates from the car because bacteria have appeared in it. Replacing individual parts is not an option. To get rid of the smell, have to spend a whole range of activities.
Most likely, it is necessary:
- Disassemble the washing machine;
- Replace the drain hose, rubber hatch, seals;
- Clean the drain filter and drain pipe;
- Assemble a typewriter;
- Replace powder and rinse;
- Run the wash at a high temperature with cleaning agents, but without laundry, to destroy the bacteria, fungus, and mold.
Homemade ways to clean the machine
In the struggle for purity, all means are good. Especially if they are at hand and do not cost too much. For self-cleaning machines, the machine can be used:
- citric acid;
- baking soda;
All these tools can be used very carefully and not more often than once every 3-6 months.
To clean the machine, you can take a glass of vinegar, 100 grams of citric acid or baking soda, diluted with water and carry out the washing procedure without laundry at a temperature of 60-90 degrees. After washing “idle”, you need to check whether the smell has completely disappeared and try to wash kitchen towels or cleaning rags. If the test wash is successful, and the smell has disappeared, you can wash it normally. After washing, be sure to leave the door of the machine open and wipe the drum and seals with a dry cloth.
How to prevent unpleasant odors: general recommendations
Preventing contamination of a washing machine is always easier than eliminating the consequences, so you should take advantage of tips on caring for appliances:
- Wash clothes monthly at maximum temperature;
- Leave the machine open;
- Keep the “home help” clean;
- Rinse removable trays and wipe the drum, gum, seals dry;
- Things with a pile to wash in protective bags;
- Clean clothes before washing from dirt and excess items;
- Apply means of scale;
- Regularly “decrease” the machine gun with special means;
- Use quality powders;
- Restrict the use of rinses;
- Use the baby powder with caution;
- Dirty baby clothes pre-rinsed in running water;
- Do not store dirty laundry in a typewriter;
- Remove dirt from shoes before washing;
- Install a water filter.
It is not that difficult to get rid of the unpleasant smell in the washing machine, but it is even easier to prevent its appearance. Try to stick to our tips and enjoy the smell of clean, fragrant-smelling linen!